Sunday, November 13, 2011

Project Fieldmaster: Entry #3

After three weeks in the shop, Project: Fieldmaster is finally ready for a test run! And what better run could there possibly be than a trip to the Clark International Speedway? Not that I intended to race the Pajero... I just went to see the Manila Sports Car Club's Vintage Car Race.

The trip also marked the start of a new mini-hobby for me - GPS mapping! I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 50 during my SEMA trip, and I recently signed up on Roadguide.Ph to be a contributor. I figure what better way to start than by mapping out Points of Interest (POI's) on my way to Clark? (Perhaps this will be the start of a new segment for me... GPS mapping? We'll see...)

Here's a list of what's been done so far:

1. New bulbs all around and a headlamp wiring harness upgrade (for a new favorite of mine - Bosch 100/90W All Weather Bulbs! More on this next time)
2. New wiper blades (another favorite of mine, Bosch Aerotwin wipers - installed these on my e30 about a year ago, and I love them)
3. Bosch oil and fuel filters
4. Bosch Platinum Plus spark plugs
5. Engine top overhaul
6. New fluids all around - engine, tranny, diff, and power steering
7. New timing belt and tensioner bearings
8. Rear axle bearing and oil seals

Now before I even set off, there was a problem... The Pajero wouldn't start! It had a new battery (and the horn and accessories worked, so that's not the problem). Spark plugs were new. Maybe the starter has loose connections? But after waiting a couple of seconds, the Fieldmaster breathed to life, albeit gingerly. This problem happened once again as I was leaving Clark.

Another problem was the steering wheel - it needed to be at 2 o'clock to go straight, but the car wasn't pulling. I think the steering wheel was just put on wrong.

On the highway, the car performed well. The A/C was nice and cold, the car cruised at 100kph with no issues, and the ride was nice and supple (if not slightly floaty, but that's to be expected). I do, however, lament the lack of overtaking power, especially in second gear. The engine would roar and wail, but I wouldn't be travelling much faster. I wonder if this is normal?

The biggest concern of the day was a grinding noise coming from the rear axle, which became more pronounced as the they went on. It was most noticeable as I would apply power, regardless of how suddenly or gradually I stepped on the gas.

I'll try to get more pics in next time - for some reason, I didn't get around to taking pics. Oh well, back to the shop then...

No comments:

Post a Comment