Sunday, October 9, 2011

Project Fieldmaster: Entry #1

Introducing Project: Fieldmaster


1997 Pajero Fieldmaster 4x4
6G72 3.0L V-6 NA
157,000 km on the odometer

Factory specs:

Sophia White (w09)
Gray leather
Power Sunroof

Project: e30 isn't even done yet, and here I am with a new project. Sigh... I had no intentions of getting another project car, but this was one ride I could not pass up.

In my post about cars that made an impact on me in when i was younger, I listed the 90s era Montero/Pajero as one of the defining cars of my youth. And this example was one of the cars that got it in the list in the first place. The first owner was my dad's eldest sibling, who is my godfather. It was then sold to my mother's oldest sibling, who is my godmother. And when I had a chance to own it... well, I had to take it.


The plan is simple - first will be to restore it back to its former glory and then do little upgrades (a nice alarm, an ICE install, a little engine tuning, and a few other little jobs) to turn the Pajero into a cross-country cruiser.

Over the years, the Fieldmaster has developed quite a few problems, but they can lumped into a couple of major problem areas.

Problem one: It's a V-6 gas. That means not-so-great fuel consumption. This is where the engine work will likely come in. I think a full service will do the motor wonders, but I'll also consider a chip tune - not for power gains, but for fuel consumption. Of course, a little more power never hurt anyone. The fact that the automatic tranny doesn't like shifting before 3000rpm doesn't help, either.


Problem two: It's banged up. And I mean BANGED UP. There isn't a panel on the exterior that doesn't have some kind of ding or dent or scratch, and the interior has been... let's just say it was used a lot. The center console is in rough shape, there are tears in the leather, some of the plastics are worn and have discolored and even the cupholder is past its best.


Problem three: It's not quite fully functional. The Mitsu runs, and it stops, but a lot of it's in-between isn't good. The steering alignment is way off, half the electric equipment is dead (power windows, power mirrors, lights on the exterior, lights behind the dash, maplights, compass... it's a long list, suffice to say.


Like Project: e30, I'll document it's progress and post periodic (hopefully regular) updates here. Hopefully the Fieldmaster doesn't give me as much heartache as the Bimmer (though it wasn't really the e30s fault - you can blame Ondoy for its misfortunes).

Unlike the e30, I'm not that well versed in the Pajero, so if anyone out there wants to lend a hand, please leave some notes and suggestions in the comments box!

Cheers!

- frag

Complete list of problem areas:

Front driver's side fog lamp is dead
Right reverse light is dead
Both power mirrors don't work
Front power windows don't go up right
Rear power windows don't work
Light behind AC control, compass/altimeter are dead
Door key slots are hard to work
Steering alignment is way off
Passenger side sun visor doesn't fold right
Map lights are dim
Drivers seat leather is torn
Tear in front passenger side door card
Interior and exterior tickers faded and peeling
All panels of the bodywork have scratches and dings
Front bumper has a crack
Hand brake boot is missing
Lighter is missing, and the lighter socket is corroded
Center console clips are either broken or at least not fitted right
Passenger cupholder is broken
Power aerial is dead
Erratic wiper timing
E brake engages too high
All sorts of squeaking and rattling noises from the interior

No comments:

Post a Comment