Thursday, October 27, 2011

On Driving Safely

Can someone tell me legally what lane motorcyclists should take when on the road? Or is "anywhere there is an opening" considered a legal lane?


But seriously folks, during the past few weeks there have been two major (meaning worldwide news) fatalities in motorsport. British Indycar driver Dan Wheldon passed away last October 16, while Italian MotoGP rider Marco Simoncelli passed away last October 23. Both men passed away during the race they were participating in.


Let that sink in for a while. Those two people were racing inside a racetrack. They both had to follow rules and regulations specifically designed for their safety while racing. They did not have to worry about oncoming traffic or pedestrians crossing the street. And yet, because of freak accidents, they both lost their lives.


Now imagine yourself driving our streets. I don't know about you, but it scares me whenever I drive, specially when I have my baby with me (she does sit in a car seat). There are too many motorists and pedestrians who only think about their own gains. There are those who know the road rules but believe it only applies to everyone else but themselves. And there are those impatient people who drive so fast and cut everyone off just to shave a few minutes off their travel time.


I can't say I'm not guilty of committing at least one of those things I mentioned above at least once a week. That's what sucks - in this country no matter what you do you will be forced to drive "like a typical Filipino driver" once in a while. I hate it when I have to drive like that. It puts not only myself (and my ride) at risk, but also others both riding with me and outside.


But I try to drive safe. I try to follow road rules. I stick to my lane and I don't weave in and out, whether the traffic is slow or fast. I let other cars pass if I sense that they are driving in a fast and unsafe way (relative to my definition of fast, of course). It has to start somewhere, and hopefully if people get to read this they might try to start driving and behaving like civilized, smart, common-sense equipped motorists and pedestrians. Then maybe, just maybe, traffic conditions and road safety will improve.


A quick disclaimer, I don't believe I'm a slow driver. I pace myself with other motorists, making sure I leave enough space to slow down in case of sudden stops. Sadly, the gaps I leave are used by the speeding motorists as gaps to weave in and out of, but that's for another article.


So everyone, please drive safe. Wear seatbelts if there are seatbelts available. Use your common sense. And please, if you want to race, race using computer games or go on track days. Don't do it on the streets.


Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment