Saturday, November 24, 2012

Excited About EcoBoost

Browsing the local Ford website a few days ago, I found out that they're selling the new Explorer here with an EcoBoost engine option. Now, I'm not a big fan of the SUVs of Ford since I always saw them as huge, gas guzzling land barges that were driven by rude drivers who thought they always had right of way.

On a side note, apologies to Explorer & Expedition owners who drive them decently, or order their chauffeurs to drive them like decent people. I don't honestly know if you exist in the Philippines, but in the off-chance that you do, apologies for stereotyping you into the typical douchebag motorist I always rant against.

I first discovered the ecoboost engine when I read about the new Ford Focus being released abroad with a 1.0L ecoboost engine that does the same output as the old 1.6L Focus engine. I was really impressed with how Ford came up with that engine. The only downside, from what I read before, was that a new Focus with the ecoboost engine had the same price as the old Focus with the 1.6L engine.

So what is an ecoboost engine, anyway? From what I've read and understood, it's basically a more efficient engine. It has the same power and torque output of a bigger displacement engine, only in a smaller displacement. They seem to have achieved this by optimizing the way fuel is injected into the cylinder. I think they've also attached a turbocharger but did it in such a way as to minimize, or maybe even remove, turbo lag.

I hope that Ford's ecoboost engined vehicles sell well, and I hope that they perform well while giving great fuel efficiency. I've always been a fan of highly efficient engines that give good fuel economy while still belting out good power figures.

And if all goes well, I hope that the prices of ecoboost engined vehicles goes down. Because these vehicles might be a good alternative to diesel engined or hybrid cars here in the Philippines.

Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment