Monday, August 8, 2011

The 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

You can ask birdman or frag, I am a "ricer." I am a huge fan of Japanese (and to a extent, Asian) cars. Yes I do like Euro cars, but since I became a serious car nut I've mostly been biased towards the Japanese cars.


What are my three favorite Japanese car models? The Nissan Skyline, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, and the Subaru Impreza WRX STi. My bias leans either way for the Evo or the STi, depending on the model and what year. Right now I am leaning more towards the current hatchback STi. Why?

It looks better. The wider fenders, the aggressive stance, and the hatchback shape just makes it look so mean. If the Evo X looks like a shark, then the STi 
looks like a coiled cheetah ready to pounce.


It sounds better. Seriously, I've encountered STi's and Evo X's on the street. You can hear the STi coming. The deep rumble of the boxer engine makes sure everyone can feel the STi's presence. The Evo just sounds like a louder normal car.


It seems like a more sensible family car for me. Being a hatchback, the luggage space is definitely bigger than a normal sedan. I'm hoping it can fit my kid's stroller, a bunch of groceries, or other big luggage.


It's less expensive than the Evo. Last I checked, at least. The Evo X is, I think, around PhP2.8M or higher, while the STi is around PhP2.5M. Actually the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is the most affordable, but seeing as how I have a wife and kid, I need as much seating capacity and luggage space as possible - but I also like the Genesis.


I know that right now the STi is still out of my league, but a guy can dream, can't he?


Out.

1 comment:

  1. never think that a car is out of your league. and while i'll always have a soft spot for evos, and this iteration just look fantabulous, the sti is indeed the smarter choice. its cheaper, and subaru has a great rep for their service (i'm very happy with my forester). so here's to someday owning (at least some of) our dream cars!

    ReplyDelete